For the gerber to gcode conversion I find pcb2gcode works quite well with
kicad:
pcb2gcode/pcb2gcode <https://github.com/pcb2gcode/pcb2gcode>
There is also a GUI for it:
https://github.com/pcb2gcode/pcb2gcodeGUI

This setup creates code for milling the outlines of the connections and
only removes that.