OK here are the test results:

machinekit@beaglebone:~$ cat /sys/kernel/realtime
1
machinekit@beaglebone:~$ cat /boot/config-4.19.23-bone-rt-r23  | grep
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL=y
machinekit@beaglebone:~$ uname -a
Linux beaglebone 4.19.23-bone-rt-r23 #1stretch PREEMPT RT Tue Feb 19 17:12:46
UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
machinekit@beaglebone:~$

I am getting some errors on the Axis screen but I am running inside without a
controller attached.
However, that said, it boots with no problem and starts machinekit. So I guess
the next step is to take the
BBB back out to the shop and try running the machine!

Schooner, you said rtapi.c tests for cat /boot/config-4.19.23-bone-rt-r23 |
grep CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL=yes but that test failed, I looked at the config
and saw that CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL was set to “y” not “yes”. Did you really
mean “yes” or is “y” OK?

Thanks,
Robert and Schooner