On 3/15/2019 3:42 PM, Shane Roebuck wrote:
> Hey guys I have machinekit setup on beaglebone with probotix--bb cape, I have
> 24 volt pwr supply hooked to cape and stepper driver, the signal coming from
> the cape for direction is little over 4 volts, my driver says it needs 5+ do
> I need a voltage step up between the cape and driver? The driver is a Chinese
> stepper driver.

The step/dir pins on the Probotix cape are buffered and should be able
to directly drive most any stepper driver.  The schematic on the
Probotix page shows a 74LS244DW used as the buffer.  If this is
_really_ a 74LS series (bipolar TTL) it will have asymmetrical drive
and will be able to pull down better than it drives a high signal (the
more modern HC and HCT series CMOS parts have symmetrical drive).

So if you're driving an opto on the stepper driver, it may work better
to hook it between +5V and the step/dir signal vs. the step/dir signal
and gnd.  If you do this, invert the pin in your HAL file to compensate.

It should work pretty well either way, but it depends on the specifics
of your stepper driver.

Typical LS Series output specifications for reference:

# Driving high
Voh = 2.0V (min) at -15 mA
Voh = 2.4V (min) at  -3 mA

# Driving low
Vol = 0.5V (max) at +25 mA
Vol = 0.4V (max) at +12 mA

If the actual part on the cape is really an HC or HCT part[1], you
will have symmetrical drive and don't really need to worry about
driving high vs. driving low.

[1]
I don't have a cape handy to check, and it's common to use old LS part
numbers on schematics because they exist in just about every vendor's
library, and the newer HC, HCT, ACT, etc. families are pin-compatible
with the older LS stuff.  So just because the schematic says "74LS..."
doesn't mean that's the part that gets used.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net