I can’t say for certain but I don’t believe that the backlash comp on one axis
effects the other it shouldn’t really have to. Is there really that much
backlash that you think it should allow the other axis to slow down or stop? I
read your first post not to mean that you had 5mm backlash, I just assumed that
was the arbitrary number you were moving the axis. If it really has that much I
think you should do something about the hardware. .030” would be extreme
backlash imo, if we’re talking about close to .200” I wouldn’t bother trying to
compensate for that. Running a mill with that much backlash is going to be a
horrible experience with chatter and accuracy.

Otherwise if your acceleration is setup properly it can easily wring out the
backlash before your other axis moves enough to cause arcs to be misshaped.
Depending on how bad it is you could see a minor step in the work but at that
point i think you should tighten up the machine.