The bbb I/o is 3.3v so you’ll want to take a look at the manual for the driver
and see if it can accept 3.3v or it must be 5v. The if it must be 5v you would
need a level shift solution which is what most cape hardware does for you.

If bbb gpio is sourcing and your motor driver has both plus and minus inputs
for step and direction then you connect the minus of each to common and stick
the bbb outputs into the plus of each.

Sent from my iPhone