Hi Jason,
I think you've pointed out something interesting here.  The fundamental center
of pretty well any CNC system isn't the processor or the motors.  It's in fact
the Break Out Board!

The question then becomes what goes on the Break Out Board and how much does it
do.

My box of unused break out boards, accumulated about 14 years ago consists of:
https://www.probotix.com/CNC-CONTROL-SYSTEMS/BREAKOUT-BOARDS/PBX-RF
This now goes for

BTW, Probotix makes a cape for the BBB which I don't have.
https://www.probotix.com/CNC-CONTROL-SYSTEMS/BREAKOUT-BOARDS/PBX-BB
but also states they don't offer support.  At $159.95 it's pretty expensive I
think but does allow LCD capes like the LCD4 (which I also have).  Note it's
also not so much as a BoB as an interface to the rest of the products that they
sell.

I've also got an Ohmikron PPT1006 (discontinued) Here's a link to a posting and
a photo
https://buildbotics.com/archive/cad_cam_edm_dro/messages/91260
Like the Probotix designed for their own stepper boards with minimal screw
terminals.

Finally a small board with a male DB-25 and screw terminals along with some
opto isolators.

Other than the Ohmikron setup which runs my ELS controlled Gingery Lathe the
others never made it into a CNC project.  I did use the Xylotex Cape I have to
run to the Probotix BoB to do MachineKit testing with the BBB on my mill.

But ultimately I've ended up with the newer PMDX-126 on the mill and still have
the older PMDX-125 on the CNC router run with MACH3 and a PC.  But this PC
talks to the hardware with a USB Smooth Stepper (ribbon cables) while the mill
is either parallel port or MESA 7i92H (Ethernet) into the PMDX-126 DB-25.

The PMDX-125/126 are tailored for the Smooth Steppers with registered mounting
holes and the ribbon cable sockets positioned for easy access to the Smooth
Stepper.   There's an FPGA on the BoB that deals with charge pump input, fault
and errors and the BoB has a transformer for a power supply and a couple of
relays.

http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-126

So you plop the BoB in the middle of the cabinet, add perhaps a DIN rail for
some relays and extra screw terminals.  Mount the external motor drives and
power supplies and run the wires.  True it's $174 w/o cables.

I question the need for the MESA 7i92H or the Smooth Stepper when instead of
either of those at a much lower price you could plug in a BeagleBone.

If I was going to design something I think I'd marry the concept of the LCD
support that is provided by the Probotix PBX-BB along with the PMDX-126 but
let's call it a PMDX-BB.

Then it becomes a choice of a system with LCD display, touch screen and a
Pendant on a pedestal.  Or a system with Pendant, HDMI screen and
keyboard/mouse with the electronics buried inside the control box.

No one BoB is going to be able to address all types of machines.  But I'd build
on the success of the PMDX-125/126 systems. Especially their FAULT and ERROR
and ESTOP handling along with their expansion for things like PWM to 0-10V for
Spindle speed control.

And instead of an FPGA on the BoB, I'd look at CAN bus and CANopen as a
connection to specialty hardware and the outside world.

Anyway.  Even if the PC is free the WIN-10 OS and either MACH c/w Smooth
Stepper is not.  Or if the PC is free, as is LinuxCNC, the MESA interface
(which it appears most use for LinuxCNC) is not.  And the Break Out Board in
some form is still required.  Whether it be from MESA or something like the
PMDX-126.

The BBB with the two co-processors can create a reasonable 5 axis CNC system
with spindle speed control and feedback for power tapping.  Add CAN bus (don't
use the CAN pins for I/O) expansion for the slower I/O like coolant, tool
changers, automatic clamps etc. you have the basics of an industrial controller
for pick and place or CNC or 3D printing.

IMHO
John Dammeyer