What kind of host machine are you using? Machinekit has better support for
Beaglebones and some other ARM boards but I believe LinuxCNC is probably
better with RaspberryPi's specifically.

MK was forked from LinuxCNC long ago, hence the similarities.

LinuxCNC has better Mesa support, Machinekit is (or was as of a couple
months ago at least) behind with Mesa support and I'm not sure that it was
a priority  to bring up. Newer Mesa cards may not work. LinuxCNC has split
the Joint's and Axis separately so there's probably a bit more you can do
with multi-motor axes than MK. Machinekit went after alot of innovative
features like remote UI's (though I've never gotten any going) and does
alot of niche things that LinuxCNC never jumped into. LinuxCNC has a bigger
community and tends to be more solidly planted on developement, MK just
moves and doesn't look back. 3D printers are big in Machinekit.

I'm probably not doing MK much justice with the above explanation so
someone else can maybe point out the things that may be helpful to your
machine, I'm bipartisan but I actually use LinuxCNC alot more. Both MK and
LCNC can do anything that has something to do with running motors,
positioning, interpreting Gcode, reading sensors, etc. Both have the same
abillity for you to create a custom GUI for and write a Python interface
or custom hal components for, the differences in those regards are
semantic. You mentioned NML, I know MK has long had the goal of replacing
it but I don't really know why. It's still there but I guess it's
obfuscated with a Machinetalk wrapper or something.

LinuxCNC is popular for machine-tools, Machinekit is popular for smaller
machines, though both could do either. When you're doing something custom
you may as well throw it all out the window because they basically become a
toolbox for you to do whatever you can manage. No idea what became of it
but I've seen people talking of creating PNP machines on the LinuxCNC forum
so you might want to look into it.