Hi,

  You should not make a loop of wire for the ground (gnd from switch to
switch to switch is not good).
  You should have one wire for the switch input, and one wire for the
signal ground in your switch cabling.
  All of the grounds from the various switches should meet at one point on
the I/O terminal signal ground point.
  If possible, you should use shielded cabling.  Tie all of the shields
(bare drain wires) at the same end near the inputs, but then connect them
to an *earth* ground, not the signal ground of the input.  An example of an
earth ground in a system would be the green wire (or green with yellow
stripe) of a power supply, not the V- of the power supply.
  2-wire 22 gauge "sound and security" from Home Depot, etc. will typically
be stranded wire with a drain wire and shielding.  This would be a good
choice as it has all three of the conductors that you want.  Red for
signal, black for signal ground and bare drain for shielding.

Jeff