The was discussion about this problem in the Machinekit chat room. The
truth is that the community support in Machinekit is and was not good
(being tactful) and with changes in development it only got worse.

The documentation is bad and obsolete, the site itself is pretty chaotic
and finding information is almost Sisyphean task. Everybody recognises this.

The changes happening in development on Github were not manually propagated
here to Google groups. Moreover, the links at top are again long obsolete
in its step-by-step tutorial value (but the overall explanation and goals
are still more or less valid). This is a lot more murky than to say "The
site needs replacement" - because Machinekit always recognised the need for
the user to be proactive and keep a finger on the pulse of development (and
encouraged to do some development themselves). No version of Machinekit
(meaning Machinekit organization's project here and in whole text) is
production ready in the sense of guaranteeing stable version and high level
of support. With the understanding that if somebody wants to or need to, he
should produce his own stable branch (with implementing upstream changes as
he sees fit). That was the status quo for companies using Machinekit in
their commercial offerings.

However, the community forum is good for something like user issue sharing,
basic supporting questions and proud presentations of own use of
Machinekit. Just people should not forget that there is also the Github
issue tracker specific to each project used for developer talk (which does
not mean that only developers or contributors can comment on presented
issues).

This out of the way, let's talk about how to reinvigorate the Machinekit
community (because otherwise all this is useless). The website with
repository README page are first point of contacts with new users. Usually
what I need to know about new OSS is WHAT is it, WHY does it exist, HOW can
I use it and WHEN should I use it.

Current status of Machinekit site did not change much from the time
Machinekit was forked. It is Jekyll based site with own theme build from
Machinekit-docs repository with use of Github Actions service and deployed
to Machinekit.github.io repository as Github Pages. I think this is a nice
setup. (Not the Jekyll part, I don't care if Hugo, Gridsome, Docusaurus or
whatever else is used, but the fact that it is basically static site which
can be hosted pretty much anywhere and quickly replicated in case of
problem by anybody.) The build is based on a very precarious Docker image
(which is based on Debian Jessie and cannot be rebuilt anymore). And some
parts are broken and no longer building. In other word, bad.

So, the path with the least resistance as far as I can see it is to choose
some simple theme with documentation support, change colours to ochre and
teal, put logo at top and write some basic documentation answering the
above presented question. While letting the current site live somewhere
online for users interested in archaeology to study. Problem is, it is
still going to require many man-hours to accomplish, but it is needed for
survival.

The other point is this forum. To tell the truth, I hate mail lists. But
many people love them. Removing the obsolete links is connected to the
website. But maybe the community would be better server with modern
interface with common functions known from other places like mentions,
responsive design for reading on mobile devices (not nice with current
setup), SSO. Tools like Discourse, nodeBB or Flarum are able to somewhat
function over emails with Discourse being the most advanced in this regard.

So the importation of messages from this group would be possible and
hosting it on 1 GB small server should be enough for the size of this
community. The questing stays if it was a positive move for the community
and not just task for the task itself.

Comments welcome.

Cern. (alias @cerna on Github)