It sounds like you used a ready baked config so I assume the custom M104
command file is already where it needs to be and setup. You need to specify
a value for the Mcode in MDI. Typing M104 isn't going to do anything. "M104
*P50"* would set the value of M104 to 50

This is assuming you have an M104 file already setup, M100-M199 are user
defined Mcodes, they don't do anything unless someone wrote a file to do
what it does and put it where it needs to go