You'll see better performance under Mac OS X v10.1 with the final
version of IE 5.1...especially in the area of DHTML and JavaScript perf.

-Jimmy

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Casciano [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2001 8:35 AM
To: Mac Internet Explorer Talk
Subject: javascript (lack of) perfomance in v5.1b1

Having been on this list for two months now and not seeing anything
mentioned abou JavaScript perfomance yet I thought I'd bring it up.

I'm running IEv5.1b1 on a 400mhz Ti w/ 256 mb of ram and in testing some
of
the dhtml sites I've worked on I found that the browser either has
pretty
bad rendering problems, or it crashes.

I'll give you a few examples of projects I've had my hands in...

http://www.laika.org/ :  Although the code seems to executing and
properies
being assigned properly the redering of the motion of the nav items
seems
choppy. It appears that the browser is skipping the drawing of the
elements
in certain "frames" of the movement. The layers on the page may take
their
first few steps, but then i get the spinning rainbow cursor and things
seem
to freeze. When it's don't "thinking" everything to magically gets drawn
3
or 4 steps away from their destination and work normally again. So where
did
all those middle steps go? They obviously were run, because each element
ended up in the right place, but the change in the position of the
element
were not always drawn.

http://www.neuralust.com/~cac6982/ : This piece shows the same strange
behavior as the above example. The "opening" transition executes
properly,
but the middle frames of the transition are not always rendered.

http://www.neuralust.com/~cac6982/20010612/3pts.2.html : This is a
crasher -
it seems to run perfectly for the first 3-6 times it draws the elements
on
the screen. But if you keep playing with it the browser just
unexpectedly
quits.

In all the above cases execution of the javascript seems to be fine. I
am
not getting errors that I would not expect to get in IE5.5/PC or
IE5/OS9,
its just the performace is sub-par. Even Mozilla (Fizilla port from
6/13) is
doing a better job handling these examples.

And it's not something I see just in stuff I've done, I just have not
done a
ton surfing with the browser. I have noticed that the jumpyness that I
mentioned above also rears it's head here -
http://www.seb.cc/experiments/index.html - making the page really,
really
difficult to navigate.

Anyone know when we can expect some better perfomance out of IE?

--
name://chris  aka://10sball http://placenamhere.com