OK guys...I surrender. Nothing over 2000 pixels with IE 5.0. I had asked
because our company developed an in-house on-line proofing system which
displays jpegs of catalog pages and newspaper ads that are typically 2700 -
3800 pixels wide. And you have a point, why would most typical users want to
display an image that is wider than a browser's window. In our case the
users scroll to the place on the ad they need to view and annotate. Plus
Macs have a very nice scrolling feature when you hold down the control
button and drag the mouse - you don't even need to use the scroll bars.

Our on-line proofing system was coded to use IE 5.5 for the PC, IE 5.0 for
the Mac. The PC version displays the images, and as we found out, the Mac
does not. I thought there might be hope just because other browsers (IE 4.5,
Opera, Netscape) are able to display the wide images. We were kind of hoping
that capability would be restored in a new version of IE for the Mac (if
there is one coming for OS 9).

In order to display images wider than 2000 pixels in IE 5, we are going to
slice the wide images in two and display them side by side in an HTML table.
We didn't want to have to double the number of images we have to manage, but
it looks as though unless we recode for another browser that will be the
case for now

Thanks to all for the advice and time on this topic.

Kenn