on 8/7/01 4:36 PM, M. Kichline at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I increased IE's memory partition to 100 MB and with about 10 windows open,
> IE uses less than one-third of that memory.  Yet I still get error messages
> saying that IE is "running critically low on memory," and that I should
> close some windows before opening any more windows.

I'm reasonably sure that Mac IE uses "temporary memory" as Apple has been
suggesting for years. That means as IE's memory needs grow, it requests the
memory from outside it's heap. (I guess someone from Microsoft can confirm
or deny this.. I'm not really sure of it.)

If IE does use temporary memory, by increasing IE's partition that much
you're actually reducing the amount of memory it has available.

Some plug-ins and other features use memory within the heap, so it's best to
increase IE's memory allocation somewhat, but not to the extreme you've
done. :)

--
"Programs that crash have been proven to be less useful than those that
don't."  -- Apple Technote #117