When I click on a link to a PDF document in OS X Internet Explorer, I get an
unknown document type dialog. While I have been saving the documents to disk
and viewing them with the preview application, today I tried to set a helper
application by clicking the application choice in the dialog. I could
navigate to the OS X Applications folder, but could not select any
application as all the applications, including Preview, were grayed out. If
I navigate to the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder, I can select an OS 9
application (e.g. Acrobat Reader) to view the document.

Why can't I select an OS X native application? Since Preview is a standard
part of the Mac OS X installation, why isn't this already set up in the
default configuration?
--
Eric Hildum