on 10/1/01 12:27 AM, Aaron Wright at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Maybe I'm the only one that uses the autosearch function of IE (where you
> type "go" and whatever you're searching for in the address bar. Either way,
> I noticed a couple of days ago that it's broken. The address that it routes
> searches to (http://lg.home.microsoft.com/access/autosearch.asp) pulls up a
> 404 not found page at Microsoft. I thought that perhaps the build for 10.1
> would use a different address, but I have 10.1 now, and sure enough, it's
> still broken.
>
> Can anyone else back me up on this, or is there some chance that it's just
> me. Would anyone from Microsoft care to comment?
>
> -Aaron

I have been using a patch from <http://www.delta.edu/dgschmid/> that routes
autosearch to Google.com's engine - it works great!

The patch can be downloaded directly from
<http://www.delta.edu/dgschmid/google.gz> - BTW, don't worry about .gz -
Stuffit Expander can handle it fine.

Disclaimer: I don't know if this patch would work on any version of IE
beyond "5.0 (2022)". I suspect that it probably doesn't. However it's
possible a similar technique could be used to edit resources, etc. and
modify the autosearch. Also, YMMV - I'm sure this isn't officially supported
by anyone. I'm only saying it works for me - I haven't found any problem
attributable to it.

--
Johnathan Grant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]