>>Actually, since the Stuffit Engine is already included, and supports
ZIP,
>>then Stuffit is probably the way to go.

Not really. The "gzip" decompression is already part of the PNG decoder,
so the code
to handle the decoding is already there in IE. It's the hooking it up to
the code that handles http
in such a way that it doesn't interfere with other parts of the program
-- and all the verification that
entails -- that makes it less of a slam-dunk, cake-walk,
walk-in-the-park, whatever.

It also seems reasonable that MacOS could have built-in handling of gzip
encoding, kind of like a built-in
gzip-proxy, that would work for all clients of http. Maybe this would be
a good shareware opportunity, too.

--bp