On Apr 6, 2010, at 5:12 PM, Ashley Aitken wrote:

If you have full PDF tools you can create an actual digital signature field. The appearance of the field LOOKS like your graphic signature, but the contents are similar to a PGP-style signature.

Yes, I am aware of that (well not how it looks because I haven't used digital signatures with PDFs).

I was just looking today for somewhere to buy a good personal certificate (name, physical address and email address for example, not just email address) and on both Verisign and Thawte I couldn't find any thing resembling that. It needs to be one of the big CAs that have their certificates distributed with the major operating systems.

You don't need a certificate to use these fields. The process is similar to creating a PGP key pair -- as long as only you know the keyphrase, you own the signature.

I have been using the same scanned "graphic" signature on computer- generated documents for 20 years. In fact, since an expert could tell they were identical, I suspect I would be able to make a good mitigating case should it be stolen and misused on some strange document.

But how would you prove that someone stole it?

Certainly it wouldn't be ironclad proof, but it would serve as an indication. Like a signature from a physical rubber stamp is considered potentially more questionable than a pen-and-ink one.

--
  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.