On 2010-07-08 12:02 , objectwerks inc wrote:

I do not know how the OS X learning system works etc. However, I use
spam assassin on my servers and it has a similar system and for us it
works very well.
[...] A few spams fed into it does not usually work and it won't actually start
working until you have trained it sufficiently.  Maybe the Apple one is similar?

i don't use it, but SpamAssassin requires 200 spam and 200 ham for "learning" to kick in; i don't know that there is a documented threshhold for Mail's filter (which uses a very different technique from Mail's, though both "learn"); i've often heard that SpamAssassin gets much better results than Mail's spam filter, though as i understand it you need to run it on a mail server