I think you're right to distinguish the "software" support from the hardware warranty.

I have found the software support to be virtually worthless. I purchased a Mac Pro after asking two Apple employees (at MacWorld and at the local Apple Store) whether it would run an older release than the then-current release of the operating system and was assured by both that it would (one suggested I wasn't very smart to ask). AppleCare subsequently refused to speak with me ("this conversation is over") about software support because I wasn't running the OS current at the time I made the purchase (or an upgrade to that). I did manage to open a case on that system (I don't recall the issue), didn't hear back, called them in a week, they said "That can take weeks for someone to get back to you", I gave up.

Similar experience with MacBook Pro. I run the server OS product. I made the guy at the Apple Store show me the public web page where it said that the server product ran on that hardware before I made the purchase. I also attended a large Apple OS X Server seminar in which the whole three-hour event was run on a bunch of MacBook Pro's. Sure enough, when I called AppleCare they said OS X Server was not a supported product on the laptops (and I think they found me a page where it said that).

To AppleCare's benefit, they did once manage to treat a networking problem as a MacBook Pro problem (I think) because the coverage period for the Airport had, they said, expired but I had recently purchased a MacBook Pro. I.e., they bent the rules in my behalf to help with the problem I had.

Wrt to hardware support, my most recent experience was replacement of a DVD drive in my Mac Pro (pretty minor item as I see it). The guy on the AppleCare support line said user replacement (in the Mac Pro) was not supported, even though they'd sent me one for a similar previous system. The guy at the Apple Store said it certainly was supported and offered to get on the phone with me to AppleCare to discuss what the problem was on their end. What we ended up doing, fbo of both me and the guy in the Apple Store, was having the Apple Store simply order the replacement DVD and hand it to me in the store. Two trips for me to the Apple Store, certainly worth more of my time that the optical drive was.

The upshot is that AppleCare is playing its own game, they write the rules to suit themselves and you don't know what they are until you find out the hard way. I think this is disgraceful.

I think the only reason to consider AppleCare is to insure against catastrophic hardware failure (which I'm less worried about than I used to be). You need to consider not only the likelihood of failure but the other options available for repair because the list prices for walking in off the street at the Apple Store are not low. Right here in Silicon Valley, they appear to be few options other than Apple's service. They list some servicers on their website, when I started calling them one or two were out of business, one was "What? I think maybe we used to do something like that...". I think I know of exactly one other outfit that claims to do Apple repairs in the area and I haven't ever tried them.

        Tom