> Also, with no OS X Lion Server release, and with the XServe and XServe RAID
> long dead, Apple's focus on any sort of business market seems to have gone
> out the window (not that they ever really had much of one to begin with...)
> though there could always be some surprises with Apple cloud services in the
> future. The times, they are a changin'.

Business services? I would never, ever recommend to any business that
they rely on Apple supplied functionality for their product. Not given
the complete death-kill of all their database / web services.

DBKit
EOF
Web Objects
Full Objective C access for Java
First class native citizenship for Java
(Heck, decent graphics performance on Java)
Direct to Web
Direct to Java Client

Heck, complete death of any support for older stuff. The first
indication I saw that Mac Os X could run NextStep programs was when
they announced removal of support for NextStep. There are still
programs out there that never got an intel upgrade (closed source,
naturally), and the complete lack of intel emulation support (lets
recall: The power system was originally supposed to be able to emulate
both the 68000 family and the 386 family, so that a single hardware
could unify both competing systems. Right?). Basically, Apple is
saying, "Rebuy everything you use every 5 years". I'm sorry, I want to
purchase what I use, not have ongoing rental expenses.

Put simply: PPC hardware was sold relatively recently. We are still in
the functioning expected lifetime of the PPC hardware. But the
software has been clobbered. Major language upgrades, not back ported?
Major changes to the compiler? Significant OS level improvements?
Major changes to the basic libraries? Seriously, just adding in the
GCD / Code block support would do wonders. IPv6 functioning? There's
no good reason not to give PPC machines one more OS kernel push, even
if you don't add in any of the end-user new goodies. There's no good
reason to say "We're not supporting cross compiling/universal binaries
anymore", other than "The libraries/kernel can't do it", and there's
no good reason not to do that.

Apple has shown that they will end-of-life a product while it is still
within its lifetime.

I do recommend using an Apple-hosted VM for running Microsoft Windows.
I would never run MW on bare hardware again, just because ** stupid
idiotic System Restore is a complete disaster ** and you need to be
able to undo what you did if something does a complete mess us. And I
love Time Machine for backups, even for making backups of Windows :-).
(In fairness, I think both Parallels and VMWare do their own
snapshotting now.)

I would never personally use Microsoft Windows as my primary OS.
There's just too many flaws and problems. But I do run into cases
where people need specific MW programs with no alternatives (actually,
I think it's now websites that are IE only; all the programs I can
think of have mac versions now. You could probably WINE anything that
still doesn't.)

Multi-touch Vs. mouse: I'm hoping that multitouch will address the
flaws of mouse usage.

Lets face it: The mouse was originally designed for one thing, and
then used for something else. We've got a new input-dominated I/O
device; lets see if it gets used in a good, proper manner.

Seriously.