On Aug 1, 2011, at 7:45 PM, Nathan Sims wrote:

> the new models do NOT have the _exact same_ physical monitor connections as
> did the previous model. There is no Mini Display port. Did you even both to
> look at one?

Ahem, as a matter of fact I did look at one. And what I saw, when I looked, was
a display connecter of the same height, width and depth, the same geometric
shape, and the same number of pins as the previous connector. Not surprisingly
(having done a minimal amount of research on the subject), the same physical
plugs can be inserted, and will output the same 2560x1600 pixel resolution. The
same adapters needed (or not needed) on the previous model would be needed (or
not needed) on the new design.

But hey, it's obvious you made a recommendation to your friend based on faulty
information. Perhaps he might have made a different choice if he'd realized
that in exchange for a built-in optical drive he gave up a faster Core i5
processor (with Hyper Threading, meaning he'd see 4 processors in Activity
Monitor), Thunderbolt connectivity for future devices, and a more capable
graphics processor. Hopefully he's not subscribing to this list.

And of course there's no requirement to buy/use an Apple branded external
drive; there are lots of hardware solutions for significantly less money:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/07/31/a-new-alternative-to-apple-s-external-superdrive

And just for laughs, check back with the buyer in 6 months and find out how
often that drive was used (for something other then system software).