My wife is beating me up here with her frustration using Pages and
auto-saving/versioning.

She's making a lot of minute changes to a layout but found it frustrating she
couldn't go back to her last saved document.
Instead, she has to navigate the version history.
She also wants "Save As..."
She's not happy with "Duplicate" - since she can't provide a new name.  By
default, you get a "<filename> copy".

I'm trying to defend Lion here, but failing.

We haven't found a way to disable auto-save in Pages.

Is there a way to work in Pages (or any graphics program where you tend to make
a lot of changes before wanting to save a file) with Snow Leopard-like saving
behavior without reinstalling Snow Leopard?

Thanks,