I had the same problem with a Seagate external drive, could read it, but
writing to it would fail.  Even tried SpinRite on it, let it read the whole
drive, no problems.  Formatted the drive copied everything back to it, from a
backup. (This was not a time-machine vault).  Everything copied but a couple of
days latter it failed again.  Ran the Seagate utilities on  it and it reported
a bad drive.  Have not yet seen about sending it in, right now it is being used
as a "Offsite backup".  Not sure what I will end up doing with the drive.

(it was a real pain as it was a 3TB FW800 Drive, and at least locally I cannot
get those anymore.  But, as the controller pops off, I bought a USB3 one,
swapped controllers, and now have my extra backup working.)

Robert