on 2013-04-24 18:52 list boy wrote
I'm not getting the magic to happen, with an MBA 2011 and a mid 2010 iMac, when
connecting them with a mini display port cable.

According to this tech note (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775), Target Display mode
will not work with a "mere" Mini-Display port cable, going between two
thunderbolt Macs.

So... that means I CAN connect the MBA with non-Thunderbolt iMacs, correct?

first, you are using a 27" iMac, right? my understanding is TDM only works with 27" DisplayPort iMacs, though it works with both sizes of Thunderbolt iMacs

assuming 27", this confirms success with your combo (though "yay for Thunderbolt" comment doesn't make sense, it was a DisplayPort connection):

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206261?start=0&tstart=0>

also confirmed here, with notes about unstable video (and a fix):

<http://blog.macsales.com/10899-target-display-mode-and-thunderbolt>