on 2013-05-21 13:15 Carl Hoefs wrote
Is there any way to truly stop Safari from popping up advert windows? The one that keeps coming up
is from "this content served by ad shuffle dot com". I already have "Block Pop-Up
Windows" checked but it and the ones from Netflix and MacKeeper sail right on through. Is
there a blacklist extension for Safari? This is soooooo annoying.

if you are willing to clamp down on Javascript you can kill pretty much all of them; i use JavaScript Blocker, set to the default of disabling Javascript that doesn't come from the same domain as the page i'm loading; it's the only Safari extension i use except 1Password

you get an interface to manually build up a white list; it has the side effects of significantly speeding up some sites, lowering the CPU load of Safari with many tabs, and occasionally crashing Safari (around once a week under heavy use); by building my whitelist i have learned quite a bit about what 3rd party services websites are using

i just realized there's an update to Javascript Blocker and it now has a bunch of new features including built-in whitelists and blacklists, which could mean it's easier to set up, but it's still pretty geeky

maybe fewer crashes too, too soon to tell ...

<http://javascript-blocker.toggleable.com/home>