With Disk Utility in 10.7.5, it's pretty simple to shrink partitions.

Can the result of several free gaps be combined; can those shrunk partitions be
moved so that the free space is all in one place for allocating something else?

(Note that the only way I know of to grow a partition is to extend its end
farther; if I could join two partitions into one, I could just make a new one
in front, join them, and then shrink the result. I don't know how to join two
partitions. Are the partition tools/utilities really this limited, or am I
ignorant of something?)

(I know that there is a "gpt" terminal command, but it seems very restricted
compared to linux's fdisk.)

===

I want to shrink the last partition on a drive; this partition holds some old,
archival time machine backups (think of it as a last resort, emergency boot
partition -- it dates to just after running migration assistant initially).
However, Disk Utility won't shrink it. Is this because it has time machine
data, or is there something else that causes this problem?

Is there anything that can be done? I have enough space on an external USB
drive to clone it; can it be "cloned" to a slightly smaller version of itself?

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce