Hi,

Is there some component in a Mac Pro that could fail in a way that would kill
hard drives?

I have been running Mountain Lion (ML) on a 2012 Mac Pro for over a year.  In
recent months, it started doing some flaky things, so I decided to do a fresh
install of ML on a different hard drive.  Right after I decided to do this, the
Mac Pro would not even boot from the original hard drive (which I will call
Disk1).

So, I rebuilt my system on Disk2.  This appeared to work for a few days, but
then things got flaky with it (though not exactly the same as with Disk1) and
the Mac Pro also would not boot from Disk2.

Yesterday I reinstalled on yet a third hard drive (Disk3).  In less than a day,
I can't boot from that drive either.  I held down the option key and booted
from the recovery partition.  I ran Disk Utility, it had lots of red error
messages, and it said to save what I could and erase the disk.

I know that hard drives fail, but I find it really hard to believe that 3 of
them would fail in less than a week.  I am now trying a fourth drive, but I'm
not optimistic!

Is there some component in the Mac Pro that could go bad and then "kill" hard
drives?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you might be able to offer.

Gregg