> On Dec 4, 2014, at 10:25 AM, Michael <keybou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like a way to verify a time machine backup.

If Time Machine completed without an error, it’s verified.

> What I envision:
> 1. A tool to list "which files on the backup do not need to be backed up" --
> in other words, the list of files that time machine think are worth backing
> up but can be skipped. These can then be sent to a diff-tool to verify that
> what is on the backup matches.
>
> 2. A way to let time machine know that "Hey, this file does not actually
> match, and needs to be backed up". "Delete all backups of file X" is one
> such, but it is overkill. On the other hand, if the file on the backup is in
> error, maybe it should be removed. It is also not quite sufficient, if files
> should be backed up but are missing.

Time Machine manages which files need to backup on its own. If you want that
level of control, I suggest using a tool like rsnapshot.

--
"The good news: Hadron Collider went live and did not destroy ALL
reality. Bad: I'm the only one who remembers President Gore's 2 terms."