On 28 Mar 2015, at 16:14 , Michael <keybou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So my external 500 GB drive is giving me I/O errors. I'd like some advice,

Easy!

> other than "throw it away”.

Oh. Well. Fine, be that way.

> This is a USB drive. I don't know how to do a low-level format.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=512

This will take AGES. Possibly on the order of days. (NB: it will take longer if
you leave out that r that looks like a typo but is not. /dev/rdisk1 is correct).

That will force a zero to be written to every block, allowing the disk to map
bad blocks. Modern disks don’t do “low level” formatting.

> My current "best" thinking is to force random writes to the whole disk
> (there's a diskutil command for that), and if that works without errors, and
> a read of the disk (cat /dev/rdisk1) works without errors, then whatever
> happened is probably "transient" enough to resume use of the drive.

Meh. *I* would not trust it. Once modern drives start to fail, they generally
continue to fail.

> I do have a time machine backup, so excluding the concern of files suffering
> bitrot on the backup drive, I'm good -- nothing is lost. This drive is USB
> powered, so it's nice to have with a portable laptop.
>
> Advice? Anyone?

You can get a much larger drive for under $100. Just saying…

--
Is this the light of a new day dawning? A future bright that you can
walk in? No, it's just another Monday Morning, do it all over again!