I have two identical Airport Expresses, about a year old. One is connected
to a Motorola cable modem, the other is across the house and extends the
network wirelessly - straightforward stuff.

This setup worked for most of the year. Then, recently, the remote AEX
started blinking amber. I've factory reset both of them and tried to get
things running again, but the remote AEX just won't hold a connection to
the main AEX. Airport Utility just says "There was a problem extending the
network" with no other information.

The two AEXs are about 50 feet apart from each other, with a couple of
"sort of" walls in between (there's no line-of-site, but the path is open,
not completely blocked). On a whim, I decided to set it up with the AEXs in
the same room. It works! But as soon as I move one of them 20 feet away,
around a corner, it falls down.

This makes no sense to me. It worked for a year, the distance is not great,
and nothing in the home layout has changed.

Theories?

Thanks.

./s

--
"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
-Robin Williams

>>> Birdhouse Hosting <<<
Custom web and mail hosting services
http://hosting.birdhouse.org