>I know that they used to come in 80 gb size ... (one guess how I know that)

Whoops! My drive is a 60 GB, not an 80.

Meanwhile, smartctl reports that the SMART status of the drive is good.

Reallocated sector count: 0
Power on time: 46,848 hours (near old age limit ...)

Oddly, there is a non-empty error log

... "Error: UNC 36 sectors at LBA 743132", multiple times.
Preceded by READ DMA EXT commands.

(30 minutes of playing with smartctl later)

Well, gee.
dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=/dev/null bs=512 count=20 skip=743132
will read from the disk with no problem.
But smartctl -t short disk0 results in a failed smart self-test at the same
place.

This drive is ... difficult to understand.
smartctl -a reports that it supports automatic offline data collection, but it
is turned off. Attempting to turn that on gives an error message.
Ditto for attempting to manually specify a sector range to test.

Yea ... I remember now, I played with this exact same thing 5 years ago, got
the same errors / testing would not actually happen, and never bothered to set
up automatic testing with smartd because it wouldn't work. But the selftest log
shows that I did a number of tests back then, all of which passed.

> On 2016-03-26, at 7:14 PM, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
>> I believe it would use an Ultra ATA/100 hard drive (60GB?). Not sure about
>> availability of those anymore...
>> -Carl
>>
>>> On Mar 26, 2016, at 7:10 PM, Michael <keybou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm ... what kind of drive do I put in this laptop?
>>>
>>> iBook G4, 15 inch ... 1 GB memory.
>>>
>>> (I use it primarily for a second screen, and playing dos games in QEMU).

>>> ---
>>> Entertaining minecraft videos
>>> http://YouTube.com/keybounce
>>>

> ---