Hi,

I backup my main computer to a disk located inside a second (locally networked)
computer.

Today I upgraded to a new cable modem.  Right after the upgrade, Time Machine
does not recognize the old backups for my main computer.

Within the System Preference app on my main computer, the Time Machine
preference panel shows the correct name for the remote Time Machine disk and it
shows the correct amount of space available on that disk, but it says "None"
for both the Oldest Backup and the Latest Backup.

I turned off Time Machine right away because I was afraid it would start from
scratch and try to backup my entire machine rather than only what changed from
an hour ago.

I also use Time Machine to backup files on the second computer.  That is, the
second computer does Time Machine backups of its own (internal) system disk as
well as the (remote) system disk on my main computer.  Time Machine seems to
work normally when backing up its own internal system disk, so the problem
seems to be related to remote backups.

Are remote backups somehow labeled in a way that would change with a new cable
modem?  It seems like that is what is happening, in the sense that the old
backups are still there, but Time Machine seems to want to start from scratch,
as if I am trying to backup a third (new and different) computer.

Can someone tell me how to re-associate my main computer with its remote Time
Machine backups so that it only does an incremental backup when I turn Time
Machine on?

Thanks,

Gregg