On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Michael <keybou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I just found out that time machine does not backup hard links. Nor does it
> backup meta-data to permit restoring hard links.

> Note that the restores are all different files.

There are at least two Radars for this.

http://openradar.appspot.com/7569890
http://openradar.appspot.com/8005841

They're probably marked as duplicates of some other ticket in the real Radar.

I suspect that the root is that hard links can't span volumes so
there's no existing mechanism to easily recreate those links.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM, David Schwartz <da...@yesdavid.com> wrote:

> With APFS already in public beta on macOS, it might be a little late to be
> asking about best practices on HFS+…

I expect that relatively soon[TM] (re: Higher Sierra, maybe Higherer
Sierra), TimeMachine will see "version 2" that operates similar to ZFS
replication and a whole slew of bugs will be marked "won't fix".

--
arno  s  hautala    /-|   a...@alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448