I'm wondering if services like WiFi Calling may evade Handoff/Continuity.  Many
people don't realize that WiFi Calling can be triggered on incoming calls as
well as outgoing calls.  I'm not that familiar with the protocols involved, but
if your friend has crappy cell coverage such that that his phone routinely
makes WiFi calls instead, and you have that feature enabled even though you
don't routinely use it, it's plausible that the implementation makes a pure
Internet connection between you instead of handing it off to the cell network
at your end, and that sort of incoming call might fly under Continuity's radar.