Damn.  I reproduced this immediately.  It seems to be an ugly bug.

To get around it, go to Mail / Preferences / View and click "classic layout."
This will make the panes horizontal, with a dimple on the bottom bar.  Grab the
bottom dimple and drag up to open up the message pane again.  Warning: it may
not work the first time.  I had to tickle it something like five times and
pause at the end of each gesture before it finally responded (and I did the
whole experiment twice). When you get the pane back, switch back out of classic
mode and it should still be there.