On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 11:41 AM Neil Laubenthal <n...@laubenthal.net> wrote:

> So now that iTunes doesn’t do apps anymore…when you get a new iOS device is
> downloading all the apps again the only way to restore it? I’ve always used
> local instead of iCloud backups due to bandwidth limitations of living in an
> RV…and while I can go to the Apple store and download everything again that
> seems harder than it needs to be since all the apps are still in Mobile
> Applications on my laptop. I know that Apple Configurator 2 can do backups
> and restores…but does anybody know if it will restore the apps from the
> laptop vice from the App Store if I did a backup and restore to a new iOS
> device?

I was hopeful that Configurator would be my solution as well. Maybe in
the future Apple will add this feature. For now though, you can
download an older version of iTunes that Apple continues to make
available [1] and it won't bother you to upgrade. They even seem to be
updating it to some degree. The original release was 12.6.3, but
12.6.4 is currently available. I'm almost exclusively using iTunes
just to maintain a backup of apps so I don't mind missing out on new
features for now. It unfortunately doesn't look like you can have both
installed at the same time. I wonder if it will continue to be
available for Mojave?

[1]: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

--
arno  s  hautala    /-|   a...@alum.wpi.edu