Would something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner do the job? I use
SuperDuper to clone my backups (and for many other one-off tasks) and it’s
never let me down. It’s also free.

Disk Utility has become so bug laden in my experience that it fails nearly 100%
of the time, no matter what I try to do with it, only to inexplicably work on a
second or third attempt under the same conditions—even with something as simple
as initializing a disk. Big thumbs down from me on the quality of this program,
these days.

        Matt