> On May 16, 2019, at 11:45 AM, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu
> <mailto:newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu>> wrote:
>
> It turns out that the Canon C3530i all-in-one business copier/printer can
> only talk to an old HP Win/XP system when they are hardwired together
> (forming a 2-point LAN). The rub is that the address family this arrangement
> uses is 169.254.0.0/16, which is unsupported by their main LAN's Adaptec 3000
> router. (The router will serve DHCP addresses in that range, but won't pass
> traffic out to the internet.)
>
> Putting the Canon on the main LAN (192.168.*.*) and setting it to use DHCP
> doesn't work: it gets assigned a valid 192.168.*.* address, but remains
> undiscoverable. This is true even if I set it manually to use a fixed
> 192.168.*.* address, and use "IP Printer" setup on the Mac. No go.

The whole APIPA address mechanism
<http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/sep/24/169-254-0-0-addresses-explained/> is
problematic. Things that depend on APIPA either work properly straight out of
the box, or never work at all and can't be fixed fo work. The only devices I've
encountered that use APIPA reliably and transparently are TP-Link powerline
network extenders, and if you want to give them real addresses, they switch
over to those seamlessly to boot.