Looks like others have had the same problem:
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mac+night+shift+external+monitor
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mac+night+shift+external+monitor>>.

I may be setting up a system with an external monitor soon.  (I have to keep
reminding myself I don't need to buy a new computer to try out Big Sur, I have
old ones sitting on the sidelines that I can use.)  If I run into the same
problem and manage to solve it I'll let you know.

--Andy