Is there a way, in general, to uninstall something?

For the specific case of X11 -- I had installed XQuartz 2.7.11, and it
apparently is too new for an older program -- what do I need to remove in
addition to the /opt/X11 directory? What else do I need to do?

Simply trying to install a lower version doesn't work -- apparently the
installer won't replace a "newer" version with an older one.

I'm trying to use a commercial program that was developed back in 2012, and
worked against the version of X back in 10.7 and 10.8, or even the oldest
10.9's. But it fails completely against the macports version, or even the
latest from XQuartz, so I'm now going back to the oldest XQuartz I can run to
see if it works better.

---
This message was composed with the aid of a laptop cat, and no mouse