This is a feature of pretty much every PC out there.  If you boot off of
another disk you can do what you like.  Every mac out there is bootable by
CD.  You can burn an OS 9 disk, boot off of it, and do whatever you like.
You can replace the local netinfo database with your own copy, and now you
have your own root user.  On a PC, you can set the BIOS password to prevent
this.

With the latest firmware update, you can also set a boot password on recent
macs.  There isn't a TIL yet, but it has been discussed on the
darwin-development list at some length - you can search the archives at
www.darwinfo.org.

Ian