[EMAIL PROTECTED] (cameason) wrote:
>I would very much like to run cgi apps locally through a browser for
>development and error checking before uploading them to a sever.

Yeah, that's one of the great reasons to use OS X in my opinion.

>By turning on web sharing I can access normal pages through a browser
>(eg: http://localhost/~user/page.html) but I get the error message
>"The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL
>/~user/cgi-bin/test.cgi."
>
>I gather there is some basic configuration step I'm missing.

You can put scripts in the global CGI directory
/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables/ , or turn on CGI execution (either
by directory or filename) in the .conf files.  By default users can't
run CGI scripts in their home directories.

>I can't seem to find apache's .conf files or logs anywhere.

They're in /etc/httpd/ .  You can find out where they are by starting
the web server, then doing 'ps auxw |grep httpd'.  If the server wasn't
explicitly given the name of a .conf file at startup, you can find out
the default by doing '/usr/sbin/httpd -V'.

>Is there a walk-through or tutorial somewhere for setting up to do
>this anywhere yet?

The Apache docs are included with the distribution (go to http://localhost/),
or available at www.apache.org.

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            The Math Forum