In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In the interest of stopping what looks to be a potential flame war:

I don't think there's any flamewar brewing.  Perhaps I was a bit too
curt -- it was a long week -- but I just wanted to emphasize that
MacPerl is a first-class Perl implementation on a viable platform.  In
fact, it is easier, IMO, to build perl 5.6.1[*] on Mac OS than it is on
Mac OS X.  :-)

MacPerl is not dead yet, and neither is Mac OS.  For those who prefer
Mac OS X, that's great, but I don't want anyone who might want to use
Mac OS and MacPerl to think that MacPerl is not still going to be around
or that it is merely a "stopgap".  If you want to use it, it will be
here, and it will work well, and don't let anyone tell you anything
different.  That's my message.  :-)

[ObPlug: MacPerl 5.6.1b3 is out, and b4 is going to be ready within a
week or three, as hopefully the final beta before the release.]

> As a long-time Unix (Solaris) SysAdmin and a Macintosh Bigot, I developed
> apps in both the *nix Perl and MacPerl.  I really liked many of the
> capabilities of MacPerl (the open box, the droplets, the syntax checking
> from the editor)  I also missed the fact that the Perl 5 capabilites were
> missing and that modules that required C compiles were not easy to
> implement.

I don't know what you mean by "the Perl 5 capabilities were missing."
Maybe you were using MacPerl 4.x?  MacPerl 5 has been out for many years
now.

But yes, XS modules have always been difficult, though the most popular
ones have been readily available for a few years now, as has a tutorial
on how to build them yourself using freely available tools.  Still, a
high bar for most people, but that can't be helped.  :)

> I have long wished that the best of both worlds were available,
> and I hope that someone or some group can make it happen.  We should have an
> "plain vanilla" perl implementation for the command line, and we should have
> extensions that would include an IDE and the ability to make simple
> clickable apps and droplets.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like you are suggesting that an
IDE and the ability to make droplets etc. are somehow different from a
'"plain vanilla" perl implementation.'  I don't know what that means.
An IDE and droplet can simply communicate with the "command line" perl.
They don't need to be separate things.

[*] Well, the latest maint-5.6 source from the perl repository, which is
more like perl 5.6.1 + patches.

--
Chris Nandor                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://osdn.com/