I was just searching the archives and saw someone recommend installing
GNU fileutils. One word of caution: I had some very strange problems on
standard software installers when I upgraded to GNU's versions of common
file manipulators. du in particular. Appears that the output of the GNU
version changes a column title from "Avail" to "Available", or something
like that.

I tried to run the 10.0.4 update shortly after compiling and installing
these utils (couldn't stand not having human-readable file sizes with
ls), and got errors from the updater saying that I didn't have enough
disk space. But I had 25 GB available, didn't make sense. I dug into the
install script (mercifully written in perl) and found a regex pattern
parsing the output of du. Changing the pattern made the installer run,
but I was sufficiently spooked and restored an older copy.

Or has this been fixed?

Best Wishes,
Troy Davis