Hi all.

I'm a relative newbie to Unix, and Perl for that matter, so I apologize if
the answers to these questions -- which I realize are pretty fundamental
ones  -- are of the "RTFM" type.  I can say, though, that I've read through
the archives on this list, lurked on the list for several months, and
searched across the web, and haven't found the answers.  So at least I
tried.

As the subject line indicates, all of my questions relate to CPAN.

1. I think I've got the configuration pretty well set up.  Using the default
installation  of perl and  CPAN, and recognizing that the case-insensitivity
of HFS+ can cause problems, am I in any immediate danger of screwing up my
system beyond repair if I update CPAN and install Bundle:libnet?  (I'm
familiar with the libwww "head/HEAD" issues.)   Is there an easy way I can
tell CPAN to install everything in a separate directory so it doesn't tromp
on anything (including if I decide to install libwww in the future)?

1a.  Do I have to run CPAN as root?  (I'm a bit paranoid of overwriting
critical system files).

2. Each time I've tried to install a module using CPAN, CPAN appears to
download the source to Perl 5.6.1.  I've read enough of the trials and
travails people have had installing 5.6.1 that I don't want to join the fun.
So each time I've killed CPAN.  CPAN's not going to try to install Perl
5.6.1 automatically, is it?

That's it for now.  TIA for your help; if there's some kind of resource with
answers to these questions that I've overlooked, I'll be happy to head in
that direction, tail between my legs . . . .  :-)

 - geoff green