On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, ellem wrote:

> using your code on FreeBSD 4.4 I get
>
>     barney ellem ~/code $ perl posx.pl
>     System date command thinks the timezone is EST.
>     POSIX thinks the timezone is EST.
>
> I get this on OS X 10.1.2
>
>     macnix ellem ~/code $ perl posx.pl
>     POSIX timezone tag seems broken:
>     System date command thinks the timezone is EST.
>     POSIX thinks the timezone is ¿?macnix ellem ~/code $

Oh good, someone else is seeing it too then.

I was trying to set up the guestbook suite from nms [1] and thought for a
while there that it had a bug in the date formatting code, but then I
realized that the only format code that seemed to produce the error is %Z,
and that it worked the way it's supposed to [a] for the date command on
OSX and [b] in the script on Solaris and Debian.

At that point I couldn't tell if I had screwed up my copy of POSIX for the
default Perl, or if it was already screwed up. Sounds like the latter now.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for a bugfix? Where would one submit a
Perl bug to Apple, now that that's what we seem to have here?

[1] http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/  good stuff!

--
Chris Devers

"Okay, Gene... so, -1 x -1 should equal what?" "A South American!"
[....] "no human can understand the Timecube" and Gene responded
 without missing a beat "Yeah.  I'm not human."