On 3/18/02 1:07 PM, "Danny Arsenault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Please let  me know if this is crazy!

It's not totally crazy. :)

> Now, the folks on the Lasso list claim that this kind of file-based DB thing
> is done all the time in Perl, and now that we have Perl on OS X, I wonder if
> I should try to develop this part of it in Perl rather than learn MySQL,
> which seems a lot harder, and I'm not running NASA over here.

Sure, you can do this stuff in perl just fine, but I don't think I'd
recommend it in this case.  Flat-file solutions are easy to a point, but
they don't scale very well, especially if you start adding a lot of data.  I
would recommend you start learning MySQL.  If you can learn perl, you should
be able to use mysql just fine - it is definitely one of the more simple
databases out there, as far as I've seen.

> So please let me know if there are any good sites or resources about this,
> or if I'd better just go with MySQL or maybe something else entirely.

Given your lasso background, I would suggest you consider PHP as well.  I
prefer perl myself, because I know it a lot better, but I think you'd be up
and running a lot quicker with PHP.  It is easier to learn, and it works
much more like lasso than perl does, so it should be easier for you to get
used to.  It is also installed by default on OS X, you just need to enable
it.

Ian