I performed a test, and was surprised by the results. Can anyone tell me
why the result occurs?

File:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mt  staff  25 Apr 26 19:07 hw.pl

contents:
print "Hello, World.\n";

command
../hw.pl

results:
Hello, World.

Note the missing "she-bang" line: #!/usr/bin/perl -w   Note also that I
didn't tell the shell "how" to execute the file. So the file is set to
executable, but I thought it should error. Is that line not necessary on
a Mac for some reason? How is this a Mac thing? It is not functional on
other unix  machines I have access to (and I tried various shells,
including tcsh & bash). I repeated the experiment with no ".pl"
extension, that isn't it.

I suspect that it is a shell issue of some kind.

/Michael Turner