Bill Stephenson wrote:
> I think my problem is that when I configured CPAN I did something like
> answering "y" when it asked me for a path to put stuff.
>
> Now it puts stuff in a directory named "y".
>
> I may have done something equally weird when I installed Fink.
>
> It now seems that CPAN installations of modules cannot find stuff they need
> that have been installed by Fink. And I don't know where to make the
> necessary changes to fix this in either Fink or CPAN.
>
> How do I configure CPAN and Fink?

don't know much about fink (it sounds cool, but I think it once screwed
up my iBook even if it was because of my fault so I stay away from it).
With CPAN all the config params are stored in a text file (I am not on
my iBook right now so I don't remember exactly, but
developer.apple.com/internet discusses CPAN and its config params
briefly. Besides, that info shouldn't be hard to find, or someone else
on this list can point you in the right direction). Anyway, you can
either hand correct the config text file and change the "y" to a real
directory (seems like this is a fairly common problem that many run
into), or you can force CPAN to ask you for all the config stuff once
again. I think the command for that is 'o conf init' at the CPAN shell.
Make sure you run CPAN as sudo to make all this stick.

pk/