John Labovitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> responded:

> On 9/8/02 8:01 PM, "Joel Rees" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Obvious thought, but have you tried plist?
>
> It doesn't seem to be that -- I tried both "pl" and "plutil", and neither
> wanted to read it.  But I have no experience with plists, so maybe I'm not
> running these correctly...

Hmm --

    http://www.macaddict.com/osx/hacks/pledit.html

talks about PropertyListEditor or something like that. (picked up by
searching with google for "plist".)

They don't let me use my iBook at work, so I can't check what it was I
used last, but I keep trying to convince myself that some editor allowed
me to load and save compressed plist files. I'm probably confused,
though, seems like I spend most of my time confused.

Anyway, the file info app (cmd-i) allows you to set the default
application for a single file or a file's type, as I recall, which is
probably more to the point of the original question, now that I think
about it.

Plugging that path you mentioned:

    /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.LocalCache.csstore

into google produced three moderately interesting results, too.

(Hope you don't mind if I bounce this back to the list.

--
Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>